KABUL (PAN): The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) on Monday said it could neither verify nor reject claims of cross-border incursions from Pakistani territory into the eastern province of Kunar.
The NATO-led force, having no concrete evidence, came to know of the rocket attacks when they were condemned by the Afghan government, a spokesman for the alliance told a news briefing in Kabul.
On Sunday, Kabul lodged a protest with Islamabad on what it called continued rocket strikes into Kunar. Deputy Foreign Minister Javed Lodin communicated Afghanistan’s concerns to Pakistan Ambassador Mohammad Sadiq.
Governor Syed Fazlullah Wahidi said on Saturday up to 300 missiles had been fired into the province in the latest attack, killing four people, including a woman, and injuring six others.
However, ISAF spokesman Brig. Gen. Gunter Katz explained they had no proof that the rockets had been slammed from Pakistani soil. They endorsed an issue based on ample evidence, he remarked.
“At a time when we are faced with the problem of militants’ cross-border movement, we can’t confirm or reject the rocket attacks,” the German brigadier-general reiterated.
“We don’t know what the real situation is. What we do know is some insurgent groups are active on both sides of the border,” added Gunter Katz, who called terrorism a common threat to the neighbours.
He suggested that Afghanistan, Pakistan and ISAF should work together to deal with security problems, including insurgent sanctuaries, in border areas. A three-way agreement would pave the ground for addressing the issue directly, he said.
Pajhwok Afghan News is Afghanistan's largest independent news agency, which offer its reader a fuller picture of Afghanistan. Pajhwok's Video services cover over 17 major provinces of Afghanistan. Raw footage is avaliable for usage. Contact us: email@example.com